APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED FROM CURRENT UNIVERSITY OF AKRON STUDENTS INTERESTED IN SERVING AS A STUDENT MEMBER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON BOARD OF TRUSTEES.
The 117th Session of the Ohio General Assembly created two non-voting student member positions to the Board of Trustees. The objective is to “allow for more student input on the governing bodies of the university.”
- Student trustees will be expected to attend Board of Trustee meetings and actively participate in Board matters.
- Student trustees shall serve on a volunteer basis. No compensation for services shall be rendered, but trustees may be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred while engaging in their discharge of their official duties.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR STUDENT TRUSTEE BOARD MEMBERS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Applicant must be enrolled for the current term, and carry minimum of six credit hours at the time of application.
- Applicant must be able to fulfill a two-year term as a trustee before completing their undergraduate program, or must intend to continue as a University graduate student throughout the term of office.
- Graduate students must be able to serve the full two-year term before graduating from the university.
- Applicant must make satisfactory progress toward an academic degree by completing a minimum of 12 credit hours per academic year. [NOTE: this clause does not apply to graduate students]
- Applicant must be in good standing with the University:
- Applicant must not be subject to academic probation or suspension.
- Applicant must not be under disciplinary probation or suspension.
- Applicant must not have unsatisfied financial obligations to the university.
- Applicant must be in good standing as defined by the student’s academic college/ program
TERM OF OFFICE:
- The term of office for student trustee members shall be for (2) years; each term ending on the same day of the same month of the year, as the term it succeeds.
- The applicant must submit: (1) a letter of intent stating applicant’s reasons for seeking the position; (2) resume of applicant; (3) a completed application.
- The selection committee is composed of representatives from Undergraduate Student Government, Graduate Student Government, and Student Bar Association.
- The selection committee will select five candidates and forward their names and resumes to the President of the University. The President of the University will review and forward nominee applications and resumes to the Governor of the State of Ohio who has sole authority to make the final appointment decision.
- Attendance at an Information Session for Prospective Applicants is encouraged. Information Sessions will be held at the following times:
- Thursday, March 16th at 4pm in Student Union Room 323
- Tuesday, March 21st at 6:30pm in Student Union Room 323
APPLICATIONS DUE TO THE UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE STUDENT GOVERNMENT OFFICE (307A) BY 5 P.M. ON FRIDAY, APRIL 14.